How we got here
Brixton Central is identified as a major area for investment in the Brixton SPD June 2013. Now the two major landowners in the area, Lambeth Council and Network Rail, jointly appointed AECOM and Fluid Architects to work with local people on the masterplan development brief.
A Local Reference Group, grown out of a series of individual and group meetings held with local people and organisations, acts as a sounding board for the development of the Brixton Central Masterplan.
Further discussions with residents, local businesses and students from Evelyn Grace Academy, provided feedback on two proposals and development principles in Summer 2014. You can read more about this in the Brixton Central Update Report, October 2014 and read the blog post: ‘Latest feedback on Brixton Central’..
The latest proposal – extending the town centre
We now have a preferred set of ideas which aim to balance the aspirations and priorities of local people with attracting investment. These plans include:
- Over 250 new homes, 40% of which should be affordable
- Bringing in an extra £1 million annual spend into the local economy.
Working and living
- Potential Network Rail-led investment to the arches along Atlantic Road and Brixton Station Road, between Brixton Road and Pope’s Road
- Around 6,000 square metres of new commercial space. This includes development above the staion, on the former ice rink site and a new covered space in-between the viaducts, alongside investment in the associated railway arches between Pope’s Road and Gresham Road and off Valentia Place.
- This commercial space has the potential to include new workspace, shops, a hotel, market storage and provide an additional 500 jobs.
- A refurbished and enhanced Brixton Rec.
- Major improvements to public spaces along Pope’s Road and Brixton Station Road and improvement to the street market in those areas.
- The potential for a refurbished train station, with a new entrance on to Pope’s Road and lift access
- The potential for a connection through from Brixton Village to Brixton Station Road
- an opportunity for an off-street car park for market traders and the public as part of the development of the former ice rink, subject to a sustainable business plan.
The vision for Brixton Central
Understanding the design approach
New and refurbished buildings
Improved public spaces
Have your say
The complete set of Brixton Central exhibition boards Nov 2014 is available to look at here and there are a range of blog posts outlining what’s been happening.
We produced a short set of questions to understand what local people think about the emerging preferred option, in terms of the:
- Mix of activities and uses
- Public space and landscaping
- Access and servicing.
Please let us know what you think by Monday 8 December 2014.
Lambeth Council and Network Rail will use your feedback to prepare a development brief to give to future development partners.
We expect to begin looking for development partners in Spring 2015. There will continue to be opportunities to help shape the proposals as they develop, as well as inform future management arrangements.
During 2015 we will hold more workshops with young people, market traders, local businesses and residents.
Start on site.
To keep up to date, please sign up to the Future Brixton mailing list on the homepage.